Greetings! Dr Bob aka “Chef Doc” with another of my delicious easy recipes guaranteed to please your taste buds and warm your innards! It’s one of my “cold weather favs”! What is it you say? I’m glad you asked, it’s my recipe for…Beef Broth!
To make it you’ll need to go where you get your meats to purchase the following bones. In your purchase it’s important to include both marrow and knuckle bones so you will reap the benefits of both gelatin and marrow. Broths can be cooked over time, so if you want to turn it off at night you can resume cooking in the morning. Just bring to a boil, skim the scum off the top, and discard.
Some people prefer to roast bones in the oven for 15 to 30 minutes before throwing them in the pot to improve the flavor of the stock, but that’s not necessary as you can use raw bones.
Here’s a list of the ingredients; (makes about 4 quarts)
3–4 pounds beef marrow and knuckle bones
2 pounds meaty bones, such as short ribs
1/2 cup raw apple cider vinegar
4 quarts filtered water
3 celery stalks, halved
3 carrots, halved
3 onions, quartered
Handful of fresh parsley
Sea salt, i.e., Celtic or Himalayan
- Place the bones and remaining ingredients in a pot, add the apple cider vinegar and water, and let the mixture sit for 1 hour so the vinegar can leach the minerals out of the bones. (Add more water if needed to cover the bones.)
- Add the vegetables, bring to a boil, and skim the scum from the top and discard.
- Reduce to a low simmer, cover, and cook for 24 to 72 hours.
- During the last 10 minutes of cooking, throw in a handful of fresh parsley for added flavor and minerals. Let the broth cool and strain it, making sure all the marrow is knocked out of the marrow bones and into the broth.
- Add sea salt to taste and drink the broth as is or store it in the fridge (up to 5 to 7 days) or freezer (up to 6 months) for use in soups and stews.
And there you have it, another great-tasting go-to to enjoy throughout the cold months ahead! And don’t forget, we’d love to have you share one of your “cold weather favs”!